Thursday, June 23, 2005

New Supreme Court Justices Needed

I must admit I haven't had much interest in all the politics and rhetoric surrounding the appointment of judges. Part of this is born from the fact that high court judges are often so extreme to one side or the other, that I find little common ground with them. (I am frustrated by judges creating new law from the bench as opposed to interpreting existing law, but that is a different subject for a different time.) The truth is, also, that I find legal discussions dreadfully boring.

All that being said, sometimes there's a decision that makes me want to see a change in the Supreme Court, which ruled today that local governments may seize private property for private development. It's one thing for such things to happen for public development; a new highway is needed and private property much be purchased. But for private development? A free real estate market should rule here. If you want to build a resort where I have my home, offer me enough money to motivate me to move. If I value my house too much to make it economically feasible to build your resort, then find a new location.

It should be interesting to see if any privacy / libertarian groups speak out against this ruling. I suppose since it doesn't involve any references to gulags and Nazi's, it will quickly pass from national interest.

Update: Via Instapundit, a long list of reactions where people are unhappy with the decision.

No comments: