Monday, May 09, 2005

Suspension Reduced For Student

A few days ago, I blogged about a high-school student in Georgia who was suspended for 10 days for violating the schools "no cell phones except at lunchtime" policy while talking to his mom, who is stationed in Iraq. It seems that the suspension time has been reduced and the student is now back at school.

My last entry also got few comments suggesting I was overreacting to the situation. I guess what I didn't make clear was that I felt this was just another case of schools swinging too far in the other direction when it comes to discipline. I liken it to stories where students are suspended for "bring a weapon to school" and the weapon turns out to be a rubber band. Truly frightening things have happened as schools in recent memory, but not being able to distinguish between real situations and minor instances isn't going to help the problem.

No comments: