Monday, May 23, 2005

Time For A Change

Redstate links to an editorial, from San Francisco no less, by a self-described "card carrying liberal" who is frustrated with the current state of what I'll call the left half of the Democratic party. The whole piece is somewhat long, but seems very genuine.

I came away from the reading with two thoughts. First, that outrageous and offensive statements, while protected under free speech, can and sometimes do have consequences. These quotes and attitudes:
Susan Sontag cleared her throat for the "courage" of the al Qaeda pilots. Norman Mailer pronounced the dead of Sept. 11 comparable to "automobile statistics." The events of that day were likely premeditated by the White House, Gore Vidal insinuated. Noam Chomsky insisted that al Qaeda at its most atrocious generated no terror greater than American foreign policy on a mediocre day.
were part of the reason that the author has decided to leave the current progressive movement behind.

My second reaction was one of hope. While many conservatives witness and document the seeming implosion of the Democratic party with a sense of glee, as if watching a hated sports rival choke on national television, I do not. There are many things about a two-party system that I do not like, but worse than a two-party system is a one-party system. If the current liberal thinking had gone astray and is no longer accepted, then it needs to change. I'm sure that I would disagree with a "new liberal" party on many issues--but at least it would offer me and the rest of America a rational choice.

No comments: