Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Anbar Campaign In Iraq

I know that pointing out an Instapundit link is somewhat like telling people that the sky is blue, but I can't pass this one up. Glenn links to The Fourth Rail, where Bill Roggio details the military strategy used in Iraq over the past year. The text is interesting and they have a flash video showing the campaign visually.

What struck me the most when reading the post was (embarrassingly) how I've been influenced by the media's coverage of Iraq. (And from reading many of my posts here I think you'll agree that I'm usually on my guard against such things.) What is clear from watching the video, linked above, is that there is a definite strategy being employed by U.S. and Iraqi forces. While I was aware that the media has focused on the negative, with the daily count of casualties, and ignored the successes for the most part, I was unaware that they have neglected to cover the details of the anti-terrorist plan--or even that there was a plan at all.

You get the feeling from watching the news that U.S. troops are just driving around like policemen, occasionally falling victim to car bombs and other attacks. The coverage seems to indicate that the U.S. was ill-prepared for the occupation and has followed no coherent strategy. Clearly that is not the case.

No comments: