Thursday, September 25, 2008

Bill Clinton: McCain Acting on Good Faith

During an interview on Good Morning America this morning, Bill Clinton said he thought McCain was acting on good faith when he asked to postpone the debates. I'm having trouble getting this video to load but here is the direct link to the video on YouTube and here is the embedded version:
A couple of points stand out to me. One:
We know he didn't do it because he was afraid because Senator McCain wanted more debates.
There has been very little acknowledgment in the media of McCain's request to have multiple town hall meeting throughout the summer and of Obama's refusal to accept that invitation. The "McCain is scared to debate Obama" meme is one of the dumber ones to come out this election season and that is saying something. Hopefully Bill Clinton making mention of the fact that McCain wanted more debates will help squash that silly talking point.

The other notable quote is:
I presume he did that in good faith, since I know he wanted - I remember he asked for more debates to go all around the country. And so, I don't think we ought to overly parse that. Let's deal with this issue.
Note that he hits the 'he asked for more debates' topic again. I also love the political speak. He doesn't want people to "overly parse". That's Washington speak for "what you are claiming is a huge issue is totally false and you are going to look bad pushing it, so stop".

Bill Clinton has certainly been making some interesting comments lately:
  • McCain is a 'great man'
  • At a meeting in NYC: I am personally, profoundly honored that Senator [McCain] came here today
  • On Sarah Palin:

    Bill Clinton said he understands why Sarah Palin is popular in the heartland: because people relate to her.

    "I come from Arkansas, I get why she's hot out there," Clinton said. "Why she's doing well."

    ...

    "I get this," Clinton said. "My view is ... why say, ever, anything bad about a person? Why don't we like them and celebrate them and be happy for her elevation to the ticket? And just say that she was a good choice for him and we disagree with them?"

  • On campaigning for the Jewish vote in Florida:

    You know, they think that because of who I am and where my politic[al] base has traditionally been, they may want me to go sort of hustle up what Lawton Chiles used to call the 'cracker vote' there.
Barack Obama may want to reconsider having Bill Clinton out on the trail campaigning for him.

No comments: