Wednesday, September 24, 2008

McCain Suspends Campaign to Deal With Economy

As I'm sure you heard by now, McCain has decided to suspend his campaign to deal with the economic crisis in Washington. He asked Obama to do the same and to postpone Friday's debate but so far Obama has declined.

I don't actually have too much to say. This seems unprecedented to me. I can't recall when (if?) a candidate has ever chosen to do something likes this.

Normally I can take an action such as "this ad was released" or "a person like 'this' was picked for VP" and have some thought on how it will play with the media, with the party, with the opposing party, and with independents. With this decision I have absolutely idea how it will play out. With anybody.

The media reaction hasn't been negative--they seem in as much a state of shock as the populace in general.

As someone who would much rather see McCain than Obama in the White House, the next few days will be anxious ones to see the fallout from this decision. But as a student of politics, I can't help to be anything but fascinated.

No comments: